Plant Manager - Full Time
Since 1956, Sunrise Soya Foods has been trusted by generations to produce healthy and delicious soy products. As Canada’s leading tofu manufacturer, we are dedicated in our commitment to putting Goodness First® behind everything that we do. From our products to our workplace, we adhere to our values of: Customer Focus, Honesty and Integrity, Respect, Teamwork and Corporate Citizenship.
The Plant Manager is responsible for the leadership and overall management of the plant operations inclusive of plant administration. He or she will oversee and manage all operational aspects; production, maintenance, warehousing, quality and plant administration. They will develop and direct team to drive the growth of production, manage costs, eliminate waste, ensure proper equipment operation and production of quality products in the facility. The Plant Manager is responsible for building and maintaining relationships with suppliers, vendors, internal department managers ensuring the integration of strategic priorities to promote a work environment of equity and transparency for people to thrive and be successful. He or She will promote a work environment of equity and transparency for people to thrive and be successful.
- Implement the corporate vision, purpose and values to the objectives of the facility to deliver Company Strategic Priorities.
- Implement objectives and plan, for improving and problem-solving facility specific challenges that will deliver KPI’s.
- Review and approve plans for the control of planned output, budget spending, material efficiency and engineering effectiveness.
- Develop and implement strategies around improving the financial performance of the plant.
- Accountable for budget preparation, planning and monitoring of financial performance to ensure the facility is meeting or exceeding budgetary commitment.
- Analyze reports and recommend operational activities that will deliver optimum performance and annual key performance indicators.
- Oversee and ensure the effective collection and maintenance of documentation for all processes/procedures/policies/training and monitoring of key production metrics.
- Manages weekly production based on sales forecast, plant capacity, and material availability: aiming for a high fill rate for all items produced in the Toronto plant.
- Effectively measure, control, and improve production efficiencies, wastage concerns: ingredients, packaging materials, WIP, and finished products inventory.
- Ensures with Supervisors that Operators, Production Associates are properly trained in equipment operation to uphold safety practices and minor trouble shooting and care of equipment
- Manage and direct Warehouse to ensure to meet fill rates, minimize picking errors, minimizing inventory adjustments and shortages
- Manage and partner with QA to ensure facility is SQF ready, GMP training is executed, QC Tech coverage to support production, Hold and Release are dealt with in a timely manner and any other support that may be needed
- Manage and support QA as needed to resolve product quality issues that arise from customer inquiries and complaints
- Support SQF initiatives and processes to ensure food safety standards are met as well as keeping GMP violations to a minimum.
- Ensure the proper operation of equipment and preventative maintenance (PM) protocols are in place with Maintenance to deliver a quality product on time and to specifications. Reduce unplanned downtime through an adequate PM program.
- Manage and Direct Maintenance Manager to build a strong and sustainable Maintenance program for the facility, inclusive of capital expenditure management, implementation of National Maintenance procedures and processes, inventory management, training and development of team.
- Partner with Maintenance Manager for annual capital expenditure planning for facility.
- This position supervises 5-8 direct reports and over 100 people in total plant employees.
- College diploma, University degree, or technical certificates preferably in food production; or equivalent experience in food production/ system maintenance.
- Prefer minimum 10-year production supervisory experience in a manufacturing environment, preferably in food industry with proven leadership abilities.
- Effective leadership skills, with a strong focus on plant and business processes.
- Able to identify key issues; creatively and strategically overcome internal challenges or obstacles.
- Strong computer skills in MS Office
- A clear and solid understanding of personnel policies, practices, procedures and other operational issues faced by the organization.
- Effective attention to detail and a high degree of accuracy.
- High level of integrity, confidentially, and accountability.
- Sound analytical thinking, planning, prioritization, and execution skills.
- A well-defined sense of diplomacy, including solid negotiation, conflict resolution, and people management skills.
- Strong oral and written English language communication skills.
- Full-time, permanent position requiring flexible hours as required by production schedules
- Air-conditioned office and food manufacturing environment
- Overtime as required with some evening/night/weekend work required
- Work is performed 40% in office environment and 60% “on the floor” in production facility
- Exposure to noise and a wet temperature varied environment when in the production area
- Interaction with employees, management, and the public at large
- Wearing of company provided Uniform and other Personal Protective Equipment is required as applicable
Please email your resume/CV to:
Sunrise Soya Foods Inc.
Paul McIlwaine, Human Resources Manager
21 Medulla Ave Toronto, Ontario M8Z 5L6
Thank you for your interest in Sunrise! We appreciate your application, however, due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.