Quality Assurance Technician / SQF Practitioner - Full Time
Since 1956, Sunrise Soya Foods has been trusted by generations to produce healthy and delicious soy products. As Canada’s leading tofu manufacturer, we are dedicated in our commitment to putting Goodness First® behind everything that we do. From our products to our workplace, we adhere to our values of: Customer Focus, Honesty and Integrity, Respect, Teamwork and Corporate Citizenship.
The QA Technician/SQF Practitioner monitors the quality and food safety parameters of in process and finished soy/tofu products. The incumbent also enforces standards for plant sanitation and worker hygiene.
- Recognizes quality & food safety concerns and acts to correct all problems in a quick and orderly manner
- Effectively communicates quality concerns to production personnel, the QA Manager and other managers
- Monitors the quality parameters of soy/tofu products and correctly records all parameters in the QA records. Monitors and records Okara moistures to help production control milk loss from the extractors daily
- Collects product, ingredients and packaging for quality evaluations
- Conducts microbiological analyses of ingredients, products and the environmental samples.
- Conducts ATP swab testing for environmental samples
- Prepares and sterilizes microbiological media and equipment
- Operates all laboratory equipment and maintains equipment in good working order
- Completes all quality records for products, ingredients and environmental samples analyzed during the shift
- Washes, cleans and dries all laboratory glassware on a daily basis
- Prepares sanitizer foot and apron wash solutions for production staff on each production day
- Maintains the correct free chlorine level in the pasteurizer waters during each production shift
- Participates in sensory preference testing, triangle testing or texture profile testing for soy/tofu samples as required
- Validates the pasteurizer thermal process for each production process daily
- Conducts package testing for incoming and in use packaging materials
- Inspects all ingredients for conformance to physical standards
- Adheres to HACCP, GMP, SQF, Kosher, organic, work safe, and food safe procedures and/or standards
- Conducts production worker orientation on product quality and personal hygiene policies
- Enforces quality control policies and performs personal hygiene checks
- Any other duties as assigned by the QA Manager
- A university degree or college diploma preferably in food science, nutrition, microbiology or some related discipline
- Food production experience in quality control is an asset
- Must read, write and communicate well in English
- Must be able to lift 20 kilograms
- Must have the ability to interact well with production personnel
- Ability to speak a second language is an asset
- Able to work independently as well as in a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Excel
- A wet and noisy environment on the production floor.
- Work one of three 8.5 hour shifts starting at 6:00 am, 12 noon and 3:00pm.
- The technician must wear protective gloves (PPE – safety glasses when required), steel toed boots, lab coat and hair net during working hours.
- Must maintain a constant state of alertness in a fast paced work setting.
Please email, mail, or fax your resume/CV to:
Fax: (416) 233 – 3995
Thank you for your interest in Sunrise! We appreciate your application, however, due to the high volume of applicants, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.