- 10 min prep
- 25 min cook
- 4-6 people
- 1pkg (300g) Sunrise Soft Tofu (Western Canada) (300g) drained
- 1- 840g can whole tomatoes
- 15 mL (1 Tbsp) oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, pressed
- 10 mL (2 tsp) salt
- 15 mL (1 Tbsp) cornstarch
- 500 mL (2 cups) water
- 2 large ripe tomato, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, finely chopped
- 15 mL (1 Tbsp) tomato paste
- 5 mL (1 tsp) basil
- 15 mL (1 Tbsp) sugar
- 2 sprigs of basil for garnishing (optional)
- Blend tofu and canned tomatoes together until smooth.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, sauté onion and garlic in oil until onions begin to brown. Be careful not to burn the garlic. Add salt and remove from heat.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 250 mL (1 cup) of cold water and slowly pour into sautéed onion and garlic mixture. Stir constantly to avoid lumps.
- Bring the mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in blended tofu mixture, chopped tomato, tomato paste, celery, sugar, basil and the remaining water.
- Heat on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Garnish with basil leaves if desired. Serve immediately.
Calories: 107Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: Sodium: 1103mgCarbohydrate: 19gFiber: 3gSugar: 10gProtein: 5gVitamin A: 17%Vitamin C: 36%Calcium: 10%Iron: 15%
As per one serving size (287g)