- 30 min prep
- 1 hour cook
- 4-6 people
- 1 pkg Sunrise Soft Tofu (Western Canada) (300g) cut into cubes
- 1 clove
- 1 tsp. coriander seeds
- 1 yellow onion, roughly sliced
- 1 1” chunk of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- 1 Fuji, Empire or Delicious apple, peeled, cored and quartered
- 1 large carrot, cut into rounds
- 1 napa cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 cup fresh cilantro leaves and stems, coarsely chopped
- 9 cups cold water
- 2/3 cup hot water
- 3.5 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp. soy sauce, per bowl
- 1/2 lbs Vermicelli noodles, presoaked in hot water until tender
- 2 cups thinly sliced Shitake mushrooms
- 6 baby bok choy, halved
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- To serve with meal:
- 2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 4-6 whole Bird’s Eye chili
- 2 fresh limes, quartered
- fresh mint, and Thai Basil leaves
- soy sauce
- Toast clove and coriander seeds in the stockpot on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes or until fragrant. Add onion, ginger, apple, celery, carrot and napa and stir to combine. Add water and cover. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- In the meantime, fill a measuring cup with hot water and nutritional yeast. Gently stir, then let this sit until stock is finished cooking. The solids will fall to the bottom, leaving a golden flavor liquid on top.
- Once stock is cooked, pour it through a wire sieve lined with cheesecloth (or paper towel), into a large bowl. Gently squeeze as much liquid as possible out of the cooked vegetables, adding the juices to the stock. Discard vegetables and return stock to the pot. Carefully pour off the golden liquid from the nutritional yeast mixture, leaving the solids behind to be discarded.
- Add shitake mushrooms, bok choy and noodles to stock and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Divide tofu between bowls and add a dash of soy sauce to each serving. Divide noodles, bok choy and mushrooms evenly between bowls, then add desired amount of stock.
- Top each bowl with fresh beansprouts, one Bird’s Eye chili, a slice of lime and a sprig of each fresh Thai basil and mint. Serve with additional soy sauce and Sriracha on the side.
Calories: 250Fat: 3.5gSaturated Fat: 0g+ Trans: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 870mgCarbohydrate: 48gFiber: 6gSugar: 14gProtein: 10gVitamin A: 90%Vitamin C: 80%Calcium: 15%Iron: 15%
As per one serving size (325g)